I just finished forcing myself to swallow down the rest of my Ensure Healthy Mom chocolate-chocolate-chip snack bar . At first bite: "Mm. Chocolatey." At second bite: "Mm. Kinda crunchy." At third bite: "Hm. Tastes a little stale." At fourth bite: "I'm not so much liking this anymore." At fifth bite: "OK. I've had enough of this. When will it be gone?" At sixth bite: "There's no way I'd pay for a box of these babies, not even with a coupon." At seventh bite: "This is not just like an energy bar....this is ten times WORSE than even the WORST energy bar." At eighth and last bite: "Whew. I did it. Now....if I can just use this milk here to help me swallow it down before I gag...." Aftertaste (presently experiencing): It tastes like I put two non-chewable prenatal vitamins in my mouth along with cheap Easter chocolate candy and swished it all around for a while. Good idea on pape...
So, last night, I had my first little scare with this, my second, pregnancy. (You'd think I'd remember every little detail from the first. Somehow pregnancy hormones have a way of making you forget everything....past memories, your phone number, everything.) I sat down on the couch with a magazine, after a long day of painting and wallpaper stripping. I try to relax every evening after Gardner goes to bed, namely so I can sit still and enjoy the baby's acrobatic skills as he or she dances in my belly. Within minutes, I realized I didn't feel the baby. In fact, if I thought back, I hadn't felt the baby move in three or more hours. I jumped up. "The flashlight!" I placed the MagLite on my abdomen, knowing this always worked when Gardner was slumbering and uncooperative. Nothing. I laid on my left side. My right side. My back. I got on all fours. I still felt not even one tiny nudge from within. Initiate freak-out mode. Ken balanced a fine line ...
We went to see Dr. Hearn last Friday for our 2nd OB checkup. I thought I was 12 weeks 2 days along, but it turns out I was off....I was 13 weeks 2 days along. Yay! I have been SO busy with Gardner that I haven't had time to obsess over weeks and days, nor over symptoms. It's so different from the first time (have I said that already!!??). We were able to hear the heartbeat that day! Strong and lively, 150bpm to be exact. He said that was perfect. I had gained 3 lbs. since my last visit. I was astounded; by this point with Gardner, I'd only gained 1/2 a pound, maybe 1. When I began to freak out, Dr. Hearn laughed and said, "You thin people! You get so overworked by a few measley pounds. You are right on track. Don't worry." He had to tell it to me straight, as Ken put it. :) My morning sickness is now only showing up about every 3-4 days, thank goodness! I am so glad. It was a long and bumpy road, but I feel that I can finally take it easy and ...
Comments